Wednesday, July 9, 2008

ASP Genealogy Database Site

Like others who have searched for and ASP Database for Genealogy I came empty handed. I tried the PHPGedView which is a lovely script with a fantastic presentation of my Genealogy information. It includes a wonderful members log in script and allows the administrator the option to assign editing authority to select members. The script also provides for the presentation of individual notes and media files.

The script is huge and requires at least a working knowledge of PHP scripting to set it up and administer the site. It is definitely not a program for newbies or those who want a simple script to display their web pages. Hence the reliance of genealogists on the automated page creation provided by genealogy software such as Family Tree Maker.

There were several reasons why I removed the script from my site after using it for almost a year. Firstly, I was never able to integrate the mail services for use with my hosting server. This resulted in my inability to communicate with any new members. All services associated with the the mail script were inoperable resulting in the loss of automated membership applications and access. This drove me nuts as what is the use of having a great genealogy site offering membership if one is not able to offer membership.

The second concern which led to my removing the script was my inability to control or block access to visitor who wanted to strip my site of the photos and other data. I know that genealogy research published on the Internet has been traditionally open for free access by others researching the same lines. I know for certain I would never have made the progress which I have without the assistance of many researchers you have share openly often over long periods of time. By majority it is a sharing experience with others giving credit and recognition for research that has been shared. Unfortunately not everyone chooses to maintain socially acceptable standards resulting in "Moral Theft" of others research efforts.

The third and most costly problem with the script was the wonderful traffic it brought to my site as it was well linked to automated submission search engines. Unfortunately the page loading and image file downloads drove the cost of my providing free genealogy information over the roof. My collection of data and the associated documents and photo collections which I want to make available for use by others nearly put me in the poor house.

Three years Later I have the solution !!

I have neared completion of my ASP Genealogy script which will use an Microsoft Access database to present my collection of data. I have built in components for Photo and Documents presentation but have kept the initial provision of information simple. I hope to have my genealogy files available in the near future and will be integrating a membership system for control over member access and allow the site admin control over the number of downloads for each member.

No comments: